Friday, January 18, 2008

TV Beej: Undeclared


I recently got the entire series of Undeclared on DVD, and I have to say, it is one of the best comedies in a long while. I watched it when it aired, but had forgotten how smart and funny the show truly was.

It was Judd Apatow's next project after the equally great Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared was more a straight up comedy than a drama, and each episode is only a half hour. Like Freaks however, it was also cancelled after less than 20 episodes. I can't help but think part of the reason for its failure was timing (its original air date was pushed back because of 9/11) and really shitty marketing by Fox. I used to see the commercials for this show and think it would be the dumbest show ever, having no idea it was actually smart and well written and hilarious. It is set in a college freshman dorm, and does a pretty decent job of detailing a lot of the shit 18 year olds go through in a weird time. It also has most of the usual cast of Apatow kids along for the ride - Seth Rogen, Jason Siegel, Jay Baruchel, Samm Levine, Martin Starr, etc.

This is a show I think that ranks in at least the top five funniest "sit-coms" of the last ten years or so, though right now the only show that I can think of that I'd rather watch is Arrested Development. So here's to you, Undeclared.


No comments:

Post a Comment