Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Baseball Season Can't Come Soon Enough

I will admit it.  Television is a way of life for me.  The writer's strike has been especially awful for me, because I need the television on at my house, even if it's just in the background as noise and something to occasionally look at.  I don't need something that requires every ounce of my attention, I just need something I don't hate with every ounce of my being.

This is a pathetic thing to admit, but I seriously can't function with the TV off.  It's too quiet.  I get home from work and need it on, it's like a white noise machine.  It makes it a hundred times worse when I need to flip channels at the very least every half hour to find something that isn't awful.  I can't help but wonder when this started, but I think it may be baseball's fault.  Almost 162 nights (sans day games and west coast games, natch) a year I have that perfect balance of background noise and entertainment.  When it's over, I don't know what to do with those nights.

Now I generally watch Mets games religiously - not moving from spots if we're rallying, refusing to speak to loved ones if it's an important at bat, etc.  But baseball games also provide the flexibility of being able to do other things while you're watching.  I can cook, play with the kid if she's up, exercise, and most importantly, drink.  By the time the game is over, be it 10, 10:30, 11. I'm ready to pass out.  

The ladies were out tonight. So, alone, I was especially bored and confused.  Not knowing what to do with the television, not knowing what to do with myself...  Eventually I put on the food network and just screwed around on the computer for a while.  But it's not the same.  It never is. Tonight was the breaking point.  The hours passed so slowly I was sure I was in purgatory at the very best.  Baseball season can't come soon enough so I can get myself on a good schedule.

Or at the very least, they could remake some awesome shows from my past and air those.  Let me pick a few at random: Knight Rider, American Gladiators....oh. fuck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment